Website United Airlines
Continuous Improvement & Enterprise Optimization (CIEO) focuses on how we can advance the quality and efficiency of what we do across our business and around the world. The objective of the group is to provide thought leadership through business insights and advanced analytics that challenge the status quo. We partner with a variety of business units (e.g. Airport Operations, Technical Operations, Network Planning, Revenue Management, etc.) to create value through collaborative innovation with transformation, process improvement, change management, mathematical modeling, statistics, data science and research.
CIEO interns will work with Analysts/Sr. Analysts using analytical, technical, and consulting skills to complete value-added projects at United Airlines. Work includes leveraging big data to generate practical solutions to complex business problems by developing and validating operations research models and/or applying mathematical and statistical theory and methods. Interns are also expected to gain an understanding of both United as a business and how it generates value for its customers.
- Develop prototype to solve the research problem and evaluate the prototype results
- Analyze data sources, integrity and trends to inform the analysis and forecasting work.
- Interact with team leader to develop requirements and understand business problem related to a significant research problem of value to United. Formulate and define scope and objectives through research and fact-finding to develop or modify an existing complex model.
- Work in one of several areas of focus including network planning and scheduling, revenue management, supply chain management, crew planning, operations or cargo.
- Apply expertise in mathematical modeling, operations research, statistics, neural networks or forecasting areas.
- Must be a current master’s or PhD student in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Industrial Engineering or a related field
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on teamwork
- Ability to work in Unix/Linux platforms with languages including C/C++, Java
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Positions are based in Chicago, IL (travel may be required)
- Knowledge of modeling toolkits such as SAS, Python, R, OPL, CPLEX, VBA
- Internship requires a 3-month commitment during summer of 2021
- Ability to document and present technical information from the business problem definition to the implementation stage in a way that effectively addresses varying levels of management and different audiences
- Creativity and innovative thinking in developing solutions to complex business problems
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
Company: United Airlines
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Application Deadline: N/A